6 medium onions, thinly sliced
6 tbsp. butter
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
7 tsp. Kosher instant soup mix, beef flavour (pareve)
7 cups boiling water
1/4 cup sherry or port
6 thick slices French bread (dried out in oven)
1/2 cup grated Swiss Cheese
grated Parmesan cheese
- Sauté onions in butter until soft.
- Add seasoning and mix well.
- Cook down slightly, but do not let the onions get too dark. They should be golden brown.
- Combine soup mix and water. Add to onions and bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add wine and taste for seasoning.
- Ladle the soup into 6 ovenproof casseroles; top each with a slice of bread.
- Spoon about 2 tbsp. Swiss cheese on top of each.
- Bake at 300F for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Serve with additional Swiss cheese, Parmesan cheese and toast.