2 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 large red bell pepper, seeds and stems discarded
1 1/2 - 2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp honey, optional
1. Using a food processor, blend together garlic, sugar, 3/4 cup water, vinegar, salt, bell pepper, and red pepper flakes until well combined.
2. Transfer to a 2-quart pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Dissolve cornstarch in 2 Tablespoons water and add to mixture. Stir well until sauce thickens slightly.
4. Add 2 Tablespoons honey, if desired.
5. Taste and adjust seasonings.