Potato starch for dusting pan
12 large eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cups finely ground walnuts
16 ounces heavy cream
4 teaspoons sugar
8 ounces heavy cream
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa, sifted
1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease three 9-inch round cake pans with removable bottoms. Line each pan with parchment paper, grease again and dust with potato starch.
2. Beat yolks on high speed with electric mixer until thick. Add sugar and lemon juice and beat until light yellow. Mix in nuts.
3. Beat whites in separate bowl at high speed with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold gently into yolk mixture.
4. Divide batter into pans and bake until golden brown or until tester inserted in center comes out clean. Loosen edges with knife immediately after removing pans from oven.
5. Cool completely. Remove from pans and peel off parchment.
Whip cream at high speed with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
Combine all ingredients and whip at high speed with electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
1. Place 1 cake layer on plate and top with scant half of Frosting #1.
2. Top with 2nd layer and spread with Frosting #2. Top with 3rd layer.
3. Frost top and sides with remainder of Frosting #1. Decorate with chocolate curls and chill until serving.