1 cup butter for dairy (use margarine for pareve)
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs, divided
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 1/2 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups flour
Flour for rolling
Prune, poppy seed, apricot, raspberry, cherry, or Double Chocolate Filling (recipe follows)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease cookie sheets.
2. Cream butter or margarine and sugar at medium speed with electric mixer. Beat in 2 eggs, vanilla and juice.
3. Combine baking powder and salt with flour and gradually add to creamed mixture. Dough will be sticky.
4. Divide dough into 4 balls and cover with plastic wrap. Chill 4 hours.
5. Roll each ball on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut 3-inch circles with cookie cutter.
6. Beat remaining egg with 1 teaspoon water. Brush rim of circle with egg wash and place 1 teaspoon of filling in center. Pinch edges together to form triangle, leaving center open slightly to expose filling.
7. Place on sheets and bake 15 to 18 minutes until lightly browned. Freezes well.