1 boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat (1/4 lb/125 g)
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Paprika to taste
1 tsp fresh dill, minced (or 1/2 tsp dried)
1/2 tsp olive or canola oil
1 to 2 tbsp fresh (or bottled) lemon juice
This is a perfect dish for one person or for a crowd. For a large quantity, multiply all ingredients. Easy and versatile. Leftovers are delicious thinly sliced and served on crusty rolls or in a salad.
1. Place chicken in a bowl (or a ziploc bag) and sprinkle it with seasonings. Rub with dill, oil and lemon juice. Let marinate for 1/2 hour at room temperature, or cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
2. Cut a large square of foil or parchment paper. Place chicken on the foil and drizzle lightly with marinade. Seal package by crimping edges closed. (If preparing several portions, make individual packages.) Place on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes. To serve, place pouch on a serving plate and cut open at the table.
Best served immediately, but if you make a large quantity, leftovers can be reheated. Cooked chicken might be too dry if frozen (see Time-Saving Secret below).
* Time-Saving Secret: Combine chicken with seasonings, dill, oil and lemon juice in an airtight container. Freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in the fridge, or use the microwave. (One piece of chicken takes 2 to 3 minutes on DEFROST.) Cook immediately as directed in Step 2.
* Forget About the Pouch Version: Place marinated breasts on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake uncovered at 400 F for 20 minutes. Or grill or broil over medium-high heat, allowing 5 to 6 minutes per side, basting with marinade.
* Microwave Method: In Step 2, wrap marinated chicken breasts in parchment paper. Cook 3 minutes on HIGH for a single breast, 4 to 4 1/2 minutes for 2 single breasts, and 6 to 7 minutes for 4 single breasts. When done, chicken juices should run clear.
* Chicken and Vegetables in a Pouch: Prepare chicken as directed, but before sealing package(s), top chicken with one of the following veggie combinations: broccoli and/or cauliflower florets, chopped green, red and/or yellow peppers; julienned zucchini, carrots and/or green onions. Sprinkle with a little marinade or white wine. Bake or microwave as directed. If microwaving, add an extra minute or two for the veggies.