16 ounce package frozen phyllo dough
1 pound feta cheese
2 pounds pressed cheese or pot cheese (dry cottage cheese)
1 tsp. salt, or to taste
Oil for brushing
1. Defrost phyllo sheets according to package directions. Put between 2 pieces of wax paper and cover with a lightly dampened towel.
2. Preheat oven to 425°F. Crumble feta into small pieces and blend well with pressed cheese, eggs and salt.
3. Remove 2 phyllo sheets at a time, keeping remainder covered. Place on a flat surface and brush very lightly with oil. With narrow end facing you, cut lengthwise into 3 strips. Fold each in half lengthwise and brush lightly with oil again.
4. Put 1 tbsp. cheese mixture on bottom right-hand corner of strip. Fold over to left side in a triangular shape and continue folding right to left, left to right, as in folding a flag. Lightly oil top of finished triangle and put on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining phyllo and cheese mixture.
5. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden. Serve warm.
This recipe is featured in these books & articles
The Hadassah Jewish Holiday Cookbook: Traditional Recipes from Contemporary Kosher Kitchens