2. Preheat oven to 400 F. Place chicken pieces skin side down on a rack in a foil-lined pan. Roast chicken uncovered for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 F. Roast chicken skin-side up for 1 hour, or until golden and juices run clear. Baste occasionally. Remove skin before serving.
Yield: 6 servings. Recipe may be doubled or tripled, if desired. Freezes well.
183 calories per serving, 8.7 g fat (2.1 g saturated), 72 mg cholesterol, 24 g protein, trace carbohydrate, 72 mg sodium, 228 mg potassium, 1 mg iron, trace fiber, 17 mg calcium.
• Chef’s Fat-Saving Secrets! Loosen the skin from breasts, legs and thighs of chicken. Rub garlic, seasonings and oil over chicken under the skin. Cook as directed; remove skin before serving. Skin keeps chicken moist and bastes it without adding extra fat. Discard fatty drippings before serving.
• Shortcut BBQ Chicken: Prepare chicken as directed in Step 1. Preheat the BBQ or grill. Place chicken in a Pyrex casserole and microwave covered on HIGH for 8 to 9 minutes. Turn chicken pieces over, moving small pieces to the center. Microwave 7 to 8 minutes longer. Transfer partly cooked chicken to hot grill immediately. Cook 15 to 20 minutes longer, until crispy and golden. Remove skin before serving.
• Chef’s BBQ Secrets! Chicken will be very juicy if microwaved before grilling. To prevent flare-ups, grill chicken over heat, not flame.
• Chicken is high in protein and an excellent source of phosphorus and nicacin. It is also a good source of iron, zinc and riboflavin.